08 March 13 - 3pm
Yesterday evening I went to 5:30pm Mass and met up with Cecilia, an 87 year old retired teacher born in Kenya of Goan ancestry from India. She told me that her Muslim neighbor offered to give her a lift to church. But she was a bit nervous, saying that there weren't any cars on the road and she didn't want Fr. Correa to give a sermon. To his credit he was finished in 20 minutes!
This morning it rained heavily, 41mm or about 2 inches. One of the Muslim truck drivers for the family downstairs says they haven't had any work all week because of the slow down in business and people fear to go out very much. But he is confident that the presidential vote will be decided in this round and that there will peace. He also told me that if I ever need help with my car (I've had several punctures lately) he will always help me and he doesn't want me to pay him anything because we are neighbors. (I do pass along our old newspapers to him.) All this just goes to show you that we live together quite happily and look out for one another.
Meanwhile the manual counting continues and the two candidates are still close together with Uhuru in the lead. The presidential tally must be announced by Monday. There were more people out and about today when I went to Mass at 1pm. The priest didn't mention anything about International Women's Day which is celebrated today. Kenya has a little bit about women in the paper but it's overshadowed by all of the politics.
Yesterday I heard Bishop Paride Taban on the BBC. He received an award from the UN for his peace village in Kuron and his life long quest to bring peace to what is now South Sudan. I was grateful to be able to work in his diocese and hope that peace will prevail in Kenya no matter who is elected president.
No comments:
Post a Comment