It is 10pm and I have changed my schedule tomorrow about five times. I had a good clinic today and taught about diabetes. For that I am grateful and felt useful. When I came to stay overnight with Coralis on north coast she told me that tomorrow is a holiday just announced by the President. So I called the clinic I have nearby tomorrow and found out that the clinic will be open but they don't have any patients scheduled for me. There is a woman coming from one hour away to get medicine for her four year old son with a rare skin disease so I arranged for her to meet me in town rather than come up to north coast to see me.
We've been watching the news and that is a merry go round. At 10am tomorrow the Chief Justice will hear an urgent petition by three citizens asking that the election be postponed because it cannot be free, fair, credible, transparent and accountable. Apparently the Chief Justice has decided to work on a holiday.
Meanwhile the driver of the deputy to the Chief Justice was shot in the shoulder at 7pm tonight while purchasing something for the deputy. His gun was stolen with 15 rounds of ammunition and he is in the hospital...alive. She was not with him. Remember, the man who was the IT expert for the IEBC was brutally murdered a week before the August elections. I keep asking who killed him and why?
Next the Chair of the IEBC has announced a deputy national returning officer, Consolata Maina, to conduct the election in his absence. The President has legislation on his desk from parliament ready for him to sign to grant the deputy national returning officer authority in the absence of the Chair.
The opposition has been holding campaign rallies during the 48 hours before the polls in defiance of the law. They will hold a rally in Uhuru park tomorrow at 2pm to announce what they will do on Thursday.
Tomorrow night Coralis, Heidi and I all plan to be at my house together while things unfold. I live across from a police station so it is relatively safe. We will try to carry on tomorrow to do something that is useful and meaningful, knowing full well that our plans will most likely change a few more times. Since it will be a holiday tomorrow I probably can't go to the bank or certain stores. I did fill up my vehicle this morning before I left and plan to fill up again tomorrow if I can. This is not fun at all.
It has been raining heavily the last two days and there have been big jams from Changamwe to Bangla but otherwise Mombasa has been quiet. I have not heard of any violence here today.
No comments:
Post a Comment