Wednesday, 11 October 2017

11 October 2017

So the lawyers have a lot of work to do.  The IEBC (Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission) was in a crisis meeting last night.  The President says that they will go on with the elections as planned on 26th Oct.  The opposition claims that the electoral law states that the nominations for a new election must be made and the new election must be held within 90 days of Oct 26th...which is Christmas of course.  All the people I'm with are disgusted and furious.  They are tired of politics and exhausted from caring for so many sick people.  But of course I'm with a group of Sisters who have been working very hard since the nurses' strike began on 5th June.  The average Kenyan is struggling to put food on the table because the economy is down and the business is poor.  Tourism is down and that is one of the biggest employers here on the coast.  I'm sure that the opposition feels differently but I'm not around those people at the moment.  I'll find out when I get back to Mombasa which is an opposition stong hold.

An MP in Nairobi got into a fist fight as he has been arrested for maligning the President.  This kind of thing will give others permission to use violence to vent their anger.  The churches are praying for peace but someone needs to help those who are disenfranchised to find peaceful means to channel their energies.  I just hope Kenyans learned form 2008 and things stay peaceful...no matter what the leaders try to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment