19 July 13
Greetings to all,
I arrived well in Minneaopolis last night and Mary Oldham was at the gate to welcome me. I am so grateful to Judy Walter, Sr. Pauline and all my friends at the Catholic Archdiocese of Mombasa and in Kenya who made this sudden trip possible. Golden Rule Travel company was just fantastic. I had my ticket 14 hours after I called them.
My aunt and namesake, Lynn, and her daughter Lori, arrived at the airport 2 afters after me and my brother Steve drove us all to Franconia on the St. Crois river near Taylors Falls. It was 8pm and the sun was slowly setting as all my family came out to meet us. It was so quiet in the valley and a few birds were gently chirping and singing. I was so grateful for all of them. The valley is filled with the spirit and love of God because of Alex.
Steve told me more about cold shock syndrome. It was a very hot day and Alex hadn't yet been in the water. When he jumped in, the water was quite a bit colder and apparently there are receptors on the trunk and buttocks that can be triggered by the sudden temperature change. That caused him to gasp and he could have inhaled as much as a liter of water all at once. It is a rare condition but there was nothing that anyone could have done to save him.
I am pretty much wiped out but surrounded by so much love. This entire community has enfolded all of us in their love and we don't even need to ask to receive. The wake will be tonight from 5-8pm and the funeral will be tomorrow, Saturday at 4pm in the Lutheran church. There will be something afterwards at Wildwood. I will keep in touch this way as it is easier for me. Already I have received many messages of condolences and I am very grateful to each one of you for your kind thoughts and prayers. I send our love to you too...susan
Susan, all of us in Tanzania are thinking about and praying for you and your family during this difficult time.
ReplyDelete