![]() |
| Coralis and Susan |
r 2016Box 84425-80100
Dear Family and
Friends,
Greetings to you as I write this letter from
Urbana, Illinois. This has been a year
of saying goodbye. My father passed on
to be with God on November 6th and I have been with my family to
celebrate his life and place his remains in the cemetery near the farm where he
grew up.
It has been difficult to recruit new
missioners to come to Kenya due to insecurity.
Recently there was an attack at the Central Police Station in our
neighborhood where three women attacked police officers with knives and one
blew herself up. Some say that the
so-called Islamic State was behind this but others are uncertain. We are routinely checked by security guards
when we enter the Cathedral, post office or grocery store. They look in our purses and pass a wand
around our bodies. The Sunday before I
left for the US for my father's funeral they found a man trying to enter the Mass I was attending who was carrying
a knife. He refused to hand it over and
didn’t enter. I don’t go out at night
and don’t frequent big shopping malls or fancy restaurants. I’m quite content to live a simple life with
our local neighbors. My work takes me to
the villages and the only concern on those trips is dangerous drivers. They go too fast and don’t follow the rules
of the road!
Our Maryknoll Association has been
commended by Archbishop Dolan of New York.
He is the authority who oversees our ministry and I have a letter
from him if anyone is interested. We are always looking for new
members and I’d be very happy to be in contact with anyone who is interested
and has questions.
Happily I continue on with our health care
ministry in Mombasa and will return to Mombasa on Dec 6th. I am very disturbed by the increasing violence
and hateful actions here in the US since the elections. It is obvious that many people are afraid and
hurting deeply on all sides. I hope and
pray that our Advent reflections on the coming of the Christ child will help us
to see ourselves as members of one family who need to listen to each other, love
and care for one another.
PEACE OF THESE JOYFUL
SMILES BE WITH YOU
MAY THEY BRING YOU THE
LOVE OF THE CHRIST CHILD
THIS ADVENT SEASON
SMILES BE WITH YOU
MAY THEY BRING YOU THE
LOVE OF THE CHRIST CHILD
THIS ADVENT SEASON


No comments:
Post a Comment