| Mary and Sr. Veronica |
FAREWELL
Today has been a difficult day. Mary, the woman I lived with for three years here in Mombasa, has been visiting us for the past week. We had a party for some of her friends on Saturday. This is Sister Veronica, her former supervisor for the HOPE project, Helping Orphans Pursue Education.
This morning we learned that Sr. Veronica's father was killed last night. He lived in a small town six hours north of Mombasa. 40 well trained and armed men attacked the town at 8:30pm and killed 52 people, all men. Al Shabaab has claimed responsibility for the carnage. They burned the police station, three banks, two hotels and 40 vehicles over a five hour rampage. It has been a great shock for all of us.
I am fine. I left Mombasa this afternoon to go to Voi, three hours away, to do a clinic. So I said farewell to Mary and we are praying for the families of all those who must now say farewell to their loved ones in this tragic incident. We continue to work and pray for peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment