Wednesday, 10 April 2013

10 April 2013


     Yesterday 9th April 2013, the government of Kenya spent Kshs300 million ($3.6 million) on the inauguration of the new president and vice-president.  It was a public holiday but Sr. Pauline and I chose to work as we had already planned a week long trip to the villages.  Let me give you a perspective from where the common people live.
     On Sunday we began our trip and met a huge traffic jam at a weigh station outside of Mombasa.  The machines for weighing the trucks broke down and I counted 440 trucks backed up for miles.  It took 4 hours, more than double the time it usually takes to reach our first clinic. The clinic went well but on Monday night the electricity went out all night long.  On Tuesday morning we left Voi early in the morning to travel to Taveta on the Tanzanian border.  This is a class A international road and half way there we met two trucks stuck in the mud.  The road used to be paved but now all the pavement is gone and it had rained causing great piles of mud.  I felt like I was having deja vu of traveling in South Sudan many years ago.  Fortunately our vehicle could slip slide its way around the trucks.  When we reached Taveta we found the road to the village of Eldoro was full of water so we took a different side road.  There were patches of mud but with four wheel drive we could get through.  We reached Eldoro and spent 3 hours at the dispensary.  On leaving at 6pm we tried to take the normal route but found a truck stuck in the mud.  So we backed up and returned on the small muddy path we had come through earlier.  We reached our next village destination of Chumvini at 7:30pm last night.  As we traveled at night I noticed that there was electric lighting in the distance where Tanzania is.  There was no electricity on the Kenya side we were driving through.  Sr. Pauline explained that rural electrification still hasn't reached this part of Kenya.  I did a clinic here in Chumvini today but the lab technician had trouble reaching the clinic because the road was muddy.  Another vehicle tried to go to Eldoro today and failed because a truck was stuck in the road.  We have planned to return to Eldoro tomorrow to follow up on the building of the maternity unit but our success will depend on the rains and the trucks!!!
     All of this is to witness to the fact that while the leaders of the country can afford to spend plenty of money on the inauguration the common person still lives in the dark and has trouble moving themselves and their goods from one place to another.  I hope that we can give them good quality health care services to make their lives less difficult.  So far, I'm really glad we've avoided getting stuck in the mud!!!  I wanted to take some pictures but the camera on my phone had run out of charge due to lack of electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment